I was still learning about machining, and what my RF45 mill could and could not do. I made some little projects to get used to how it all worked. The first project was a spanner to hold the collet chuck while I removed the nut for tool changes.


I quickly grew to realize the limitations off the drill vice. It was not rigid enough to take heavy cuts, and the jaws were not parallel, this made setting up very difficult.

Testing the machine.

I added a coolant system using an old fountain pump, a 20 liter chemical drum and a household funnel with fine mesh to remove the swarf from the fluid.


I drilled and tapped half inch hose barbs into the mill table, and attached a drain hose that takes the used coolant back to the 20 litre drum.